MHG19416 - C19 Battery - SW of Dunrobin Castle, Golspie
A C19 military battery site on the coast to the southwest of Dunrobin Castle, Golspie, Sutherland. Known only through cartographic and documentary evidence.
Type and Period (1)
- BATTERY (In use, 19th Century to 20th Century - 1867 AD to 1906 AD (between))
- None recorded
A C19 military battery site on the coast at Golspie, Sutherland. It is only shown on the OS 2nd Edition 6" and 25" maps as a single building within a rectangular enclosure but only labelled 'Old Battery' on the 6" map. <1> <2>
In the Ordnance Survey Name Books 'Artillery Volunteers' Battery' was '...applied to a two-gun battery used by the 2nd Sutherland Artillery Volunteers, situated on the coast south of "Dunrobin Castle". There is in connection with the battery and adjacent to a small magazine + store room.' <3>
The 2nd Sutherland Artillery Volunteers at Golspie were formed February 18th 1867 from a body of fishermen '…of wonderful physique'. It was subsequently consolidated with several other groups to form the 1st Caithness Artillery Volunteers with headquarters in Wick, later transferred to Thurso. The battery became No.8 of 8. The unit was retitled the 1st Caithness Royal Garrison Artillery (Volunteers) in 1902. On the formation of the Territorial Force in 1908 the unit was disbanded. <4>
- <1> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1905. Ordnance Survey 2nd edition 25 inch map: Sutherland (surveyed 1903 to 1905).
- <2> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1906. Ordnance Survey 2nd edition 6 inch map: Sutherland. Digital.
- <3> Text/Publication/Volume: Name Book (County). Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey. Book No 23 p.55.
- <4> Interactive Resource/Webpage: Wikipedia. 1st Caithness Artillery Volunteers.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 8421 0013 (58m by 41m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/91673 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1st_Caithness_Artillery_Volunteers (View Wikipedia entry on-line)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.