MHG19487 - School, Stemster
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- SCHOOL (Built, 19th Century - 1843 AD to 1871 AD (between))
- None recorded
ND16SE 57 174 625
Longhouse (ND 1748 6251). Dimensions: 10.2 x 5.6m. Rectangular structure containing a fireplace. Built at right angles to and attached to its NE end is a range of three barn units, the SE compartment containing a byre slot. Orienataion ENE-WSW.
R J Mercer, NMRS MS/828/19, 1995
A roofed building marked as a school is depicted here on the first edition of the OS 6-inch map (Caithness 1877, sheet xii), but not on the current edition of the OS 1:10,560 (1970).
Information from RCAHMS (FO) 15 February 1996
This site was visited by C dagg in 2000 during a walkover survey on the route of a propsed new water main. The ruins were described as 'substantial' lying just to the south of a reservoir compound. They consisted of a C19 croft house attached to older buildings forming an L-shape. The footings of older buildings were visible to the east and the boundaries of two square enclosures immediately to the south. <1>
GR corrected to above from 1st ed OS - HAW 10/2003
Dagg C: DBA & Photograhic Record in advance of Demolition. <2>
Visited 08/02/2013. Little change to description given in Dagg, C. 2005. <3> <4>
- <1> Text/Report: Dagg C. Water Mains Stemster-Haster-Reiss-Toftcarl. . . Site 3.
- <2> Text/Publication/Volume: Dagg C. 01.2005. Stemster Old School, Parish Of Bower, Caithness. Report 1402.
- <3> Verbal Communication: Puls, A. Comment by Andrew Puls, HC Archaeologist.
- <4> Image/Photograph(s): Puls, A. Site Visit Photographs. Colour. . Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 1747 6251 (22m by 17m)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (2)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/91758 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.