MHG19500 - Ruinous Building, Stemster


Early - mid 19th century building, annotated as Smithy on 2nd edition OS map c.1906.

Type and Period (2)

  • BUILDING (Built, 19th Century - 1801 AD? to 1872 AD)
  • SMITHY (In use, 20th Century - 1905 AD to 1906 AD)

Protected Status

  • None recorded

Full Description

ND16SE 64 178 620

Longhouse. Dimensions: 10.5 x 6m. Rectangular structure with no evident internal divisions containing a fireplace and cupboard. Orientation NE-SW.
R J Mercer, NMRS MS/828/19, 1995

A roofed building is shown on both the OS first edition 6-inch map (Caithness 1877, sheet xii) and the current edition of the 1:10,560 map (1970).
Information from RCAHMS (FO) 19 February 1996

The site was visited by C Dagg in 2000 during a walkover survey in advance of a proposed new water main. It was seen to be an unroofed but otherwise well-preserved C19 croft house. It was was thought to lie far enough away from the line of proposed water main to be unaffected. <1>

Building is now unroofed. North-west facing gable, which is starting to lean outwards, contains the fireplace. Stack is deteriorating to a significant degree. Building constructed from Caithness stone. Window openings partially blocked. Annotated as 'Smithy' on 2nd edition OS map. <2> <3>

Sources/Archives (3)



Grid reference Centred ND 1780 6204 (9m by 11m) (2 map features)
Map sheet ND16SE
Civil Parish BOWER
Geographical Area CAITHNESS

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Investigations/Events (1)

External Links (1)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.