MHG1957 - Carved Stone Ball - 200yds W of Broch of Yarhouse
Carved stone ball 200yds W of Broch of Yarhouse
Type and Period (1)
- FINDSPOT (Neolithic to Early Bronze Age - 4000 BC to 1501 BC?)
- None recorded
An 8-knobbed carved stone ball, 'found in a field 200 yds W of the Broch of Yarhouse (ND34SW 1)' is in RMS (AS 181).
Proc Soc Antiq Scot 1933; D N Marshall 1979.
- --- Dataset/Database File: National Museums Scotland. 2019. Highland Finds from the NMS Catalogue. National Museums Scotland. Digital. AS 181.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Marshall, D N. 1979. 'Carved stone balls', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 108 1976-7, p.40-72. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 40-72. 69.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: PSAS. 1933. 'Donations to and purchases for the Museum and Library with exhibits', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 67 1932-3, p.9-23, 62-9, 161-4, 224-7, 312-17, 341-2,. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 9-23, 62-9, 161-4, 224-7,. 12.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 3059 4339 (4m by 4m) (Buffered by site type)|
- BALL (RITUAL) (Neolithic to Early Bronze Age - 4000 BC to 1501 BC?)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://nms.scran.ac.uk/database/record.php?usi=000-180-001-394-C& (Link to NMS online collections database)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/9006 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.