MHG19626 - Cambusavie Halt, Dornoch Light Railway
A station or halt at Cambusavie on the Dornoch Light Railway.
Type and Period (2)
- RAILWAY STATION (In use, 20th Century - 1902 AD to 1960 AD (between))
- RAILWAY PLATFORM (In use, 20th Century - 1902 AD to 1960 AD (between))
- None recorded
(Name cited as Cambusavie Platform). This intermediate station was opened on 2 June 1902. It closed to regular passenger traffic on 13 June 1960 <1>.
Cambusavie halt, one of five stops on the Dornoch Light Railway (the other four being The Mound, Skelbo, Embo and Dornoch). The halt is a single platform structure with a level crossing on the east side. Cambusavie Halt had no station buildings or shelters for passengers, but a crossing keeper's house (now "The Gatehouse") is located on the south side of the track. The railway opened in 1902 and is first depicted on the 2nd edition 25" OS map c.1905 <2> <3>.
Timber lined railway platform. Exists to 3 m wide, 1 m high & 40 m in length.
The former crossing keepers house consists of a white washed, single storey, brick building not far from platform on the S side. It is currently still in use. <4>
- --- SHG364 Text/Manuscript: Calder, Sinclair B.. 1974. The Industrial Archaeology of Sutherland: A Scottish Highland Economy 1700-1900. The University of Strathclyde. Pg 86.
- <1> SHG2009 Text/Publication/Volume: Butt, R V J. 1995. The directory of railway stations: details every public and private passenger station, halt, platform and stopping place, past and present. 52.
- <2> SHG23286 Verbal Communication: Puls, A. Comment by Andrew Puls, HC Archaeologist.
- <3> SHG24159 Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1905. Ordnance Survey 2nd edition 25 inch map: Sutherland (surveyed 1903 to 1905).
- <4> SHG24912 Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Sneddon, D, Gheorghiou, D, Hansom, J and Shearer, I. 03/2010. East Sutherland Coastal Zone Assessment survey: Data Structure Report. Glasgow University Archaeological Research Division (GUARD). 12/9/10. Digital. Sites 102, 103.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 7712 9687 (29m by 34m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/93305 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.