MHG1964 - Stone circle? Watten
No summary available.
Type and Period (3)
- MOUND (Undated)
- HUT CIRCLE? (Neolithic to Late Iron Age - 4000 BC? to 560 AD?)
- STONE CIRCLE? (Neolithic to Late Iron Age - 4000 BC? to 560 AD?)
- None recorded
(Approx ND 239 547) 'On a piece of moorland about 1/4 mile N by W of Watten manse is a grassy mound which has been evidently removed to a considerable extent. Near the centre is a partial circle of boulders some 14 to 18ins in length and protruding to about the same extent above the turf. The diameter of the interior is 12ft and there appears to have been an entrance from the S. The character of this construction is not obvious.' Visited 1910 <1>
This is an area of ploughed fields. Nothing significant was seen. Visited by OS (J M) 9 March 1982.
The site was visited by C Dagg in 2000 during a walkover survey in advance of a proposed new water main. It was noted that the precise location of the feature is unknown and there was nothing visible in the ploughed field at the given location. The proposed route of the pipeline would pass to the south of the general area of the site and it was not considered likely that any remains would be affected. <2>
- <1> Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness. . 134, No. 488.
- <2> Text/Report: Dagg C. Water Mains Stemster-Haster-Reiss-Toftcarl. . . Site 16.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 2389 5469 (14m by 14m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/8788 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.