MHG1966 - MBA Flanged Axehead - Watten
MBA flanged Axe, Watten
Type and Period (1)
- FINDSPOT (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
- None recorded
A Middle Bronze Age bronze flanged axe (Class III), found during peat-digging in a moss in the parish of Watten, was donated to the NMAS by Capt Alexander Gunn, Braehour in 1871 (Acc No: DC 31).
Proc Soc Antiq Scot 1873; 1885; J M Coles 1966.
(Flanged axe of Kirkless type). Single find. Flanged axe, smooth, cleaned, slightly pitted, hammered-up stop, cutting edge hammered; length 129mm, butt 21mm, stop-height 4mm, cutting edge 55mm, weight 370 gms. NMAS DC 31.
P K Schmidt and C B Burgess 1981.
This axehead was loaned to Dunbeath Heritage Museum where it is on display. <1>
- --- SHG1477 Text/Publication/Article: Coles, J M. 1966. 'Scottish Middle Bronze Age metalwork', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 97 1963-4, p.82-156. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 82-156. 134.
- --- SHG28278 Dataset/Database File: National Museums Scotland. 2019. Highland Finds from the NMS Catalogue. National Museums Scotland. Digital. DC 31.
- --- SHG3000 Text/Publication/Article: Schmidt and Burgess, P K and C B. 1981. 'The axes of Scotland and Northern England', Prahistorische Bronzefunde Vol. 9. Prahistorische Bronzefunde. 111, no. 718.
- --- SHG611 Text/Publication/Article: PSAS. 1885. 'Donations to and purchases for the Museum and Library, with exhibits', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 19 1884-5, p.8-14,51-4,75-82,132-9,161-5,247-52,326-36. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 8-14,51-4,75-82,132-9,161. 163; illust.
- --- SHG635 Text/Publication/Article: PSAS. 1873. 'Donations to and purchases for the Museum', (And exhibits)', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 9 1870-2, p.5-12,53-9,78-81,153-7,179-85,219-23,238-49,. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 5-12,53-9,78-81,153-7,179. 183.
- <1> SHG28482 Text/Record Form/Project Recording Form: Archaeology for Communities in the Highlands (ARCH). 2019. Dunbeath Heritage Centre Archives.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 2399 5400 (4m by 4m) (Buffered by site type)|
- AXEHEAD (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://nms.scran.ac.uk/database/record.php?usi=000-100-034-286-C& (Link to NMS online collections database)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/8790 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.