MHG197 - Holy Well, Tobar Trostan

Summary

No summary available.

Type and Period (1)

  • HOLY WELL (Early Medieval to 19th Century - 561 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status

  • None recorded

Full Description

St Trostan's Well is situated a little NW of St Trostan's Chapel.
D Beaton 1909; F Knight 1933.

The well is now housed in a concrete tank, its water being used as the water supply to Balantsionnach farm.
Visited by OS (E G C) 15 April 1962.

(ND 1217 5249) Tobar Trostan(NR) OS 6" map, (1963)
Tobar Trostan (NAT) Well (NAT) OS 25" map, (1967)

No change. Visited by OS (J M) 12 November 1981

Well, St Trostan's. The well is situated NW of St Trostan's Chapel and is now housed in a concrete tank used to supply Balantsionnach Farm.
R J Mercer, NMRS MS/828/19, 1995

Sources/Archives (3)

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred ND 1217 5248 (4m by 4m) (Buffered by site type)
Map sheet ND15SW
Civil Parish HALKIRK
Geographical Area CAITHNESS

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Investigations/Events (0)

External Links (1)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.