MHG1974 - Carved Stone Ball - Watten
Carved Stone Ball, Watten
Type and Period (1)
- FINDSPOT (Neolithic to Early Bronze Age - 4000 BC to 1501 BC?)
- None recorded
A type 4b (six prominent knobs) carved stone ball from Watten (name: ND 24 54) is in RMS (NMS AS 112).
Proc Soc Antiq Scot 1893; D N Marshall 1979.
The stone ball was acquired by the NMS in 1892 from F. T. Barry. Listed under Acc. No. AS 112. <1>
This carved stone ball was loaned to Dunbeath Heritage museum, where it is on display. <2>
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Marshall, D N. 1979. 'Carved stone balls', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 108 1976-7, p.40-72. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 40-72. 67.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: PSAS. 1893. 'Donations to and purchases for the Museum and Library', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 27 1892-3, p.6-14,41-9,183-5,243-6,369-75. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 6-14,41-9,183-5,243-6,369. 42.
- <1> Dataset/Database File: National Museums Scotland. 2019. Highland Finds from the NMS Catalogue. National Museums Scotland. Digital. AS 112.
- <2> Text/Record Form/Project Recording Form: Archaeology for Communities in the Highlands (ARCH). 2019. Dunbeath Heritage Centre Archives.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 2399 5400 (4m by 4m) (Buffered by site type)|
- BALL (RITUAL) (Neolithic to Early Bronze Age - 4000 BC to 1501 BC?)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://nms.scran.ac.uk/database/record.php?usi=000-180-001-365-C& (Link to NMS online collections database)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/8798 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.