MHG19895 - Cruck Framed Cottage, Buldoo, Latheron


No summary available.

Type and Period (1)

  • CRUCK HOUSE (Built, 18th Century to 19th Century - 1750 AD? to 1874 AD)

Protected Status

  • None recorded

Full Description

ND 201 338

Single-storey crofthouse with attached byre. The original extent of the crofthouse is defined by the location of the stacks - the rear elevation clearly shows where the building has been extended to the north. The building is harled and roofed with asbestos tiles. The byre is exposed Caithness flagstone with corrugated iron or asbestos sheet roof. The outbuilding to the north-west is depicted as roofed on the 2nd edition OS map c.1906 but is now ruinous and used as a stock pen. The RCAHMS visited the site in 1971 and recorded the presence of a surviving cruck truss in the main crofthouse <1>.

Sources/Archives (1)



Grid reference Centred ND 2008 3385 (35m by 45m) (2 map features)
Map sheet ND23SW
Civil Parish LATHERON
Geographical Area CAITHNESS

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Investigations/Events (0)

External Links (1)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.