MHG2006 - Pottery Sherd - Skitten
Pottery, possibly a Unstan-type bowl, Skitten
Type and Period (1)
- FINDSPOT (Neolithic - 4000 BC? to 2401 BC?)
- None recorded
A sherd from an unknown site at Skitten (ND 318 570) may be part of an Unstan-type bowl. It is in the collection of Sir Francis Tress Barry owhich was donated to NMAS in 1908 (Stevenson 1948)(Acc No: GA 909). Of hard black to grey pottery, it is a fragment of a rim about 7.5 ins in diameter, with external decoration in the form of a groove below the rim with, below it, a series of slightly oblique lines.
R B K Stevenson 1948; Proc Soc Antiq Scot 1909.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: PSAS. 1909. 'Donations to and purchases for the Museum and Library, with exhibits', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 43 1908-9, p.8-23, 73-5, 145-6, 176-9, 268-71, 291-5. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 8-23, 73-5, 145-6, 176-9,. 11-20.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Stevenson, R B K. 1948. 'Jottings on early pottery', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 80 1945-6, p.141-3. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 141-3. 142.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 3179 5700 (4m by 4m) (Buffered by site type)|
- VESSEL (Neolithic - 4000 BC? to 2401 BC?)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/9116 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.