MHG20088 - Balnarge Settlement
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- SETTLEMENT (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
NH56NE 32 centred on 5650 6890
The abandoned farmstead of Balnarge was recorded as part of a desk-based settlement and field inspection conducted by CFA in December 1994 as part of an environmental assessment for a proposed c150 hectare windfarm development and access provision at Meall an Tuirc and surrounding area. The site has components that lie within the proposed 60m corridor. These include a derelict farmhouse with a collapsed roof and associated outbuildings to the south of the proposed route. A 3-sided revetted stone lined enclosure, possibly for storage lies c 10m west of the derelict farm house. Several associated features lie south of and outwith the 60m corridor. These include a kiln and various field banks and walls. To the north of the access there is a field system of low stone and turf covered field banks. To the west of the farmstead a low stone and turf bank crosses the proposed access route and continues north along the east side of Cnoc na Moine. <1>
What may be a township, comprising three roofed buildings, one partially roofed, one unroofed building and two enclosures is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Ross-shire & Cromartyshire 1881, sheet lxiv). Two roofed buildings, two unroofed structures, one of which is circular and may be a horse-gang, and two enclosures are shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10000 map (1992).
Information from RCAHMS (AKK) 29 February 1996.
A watching brief was carried out by J. Wordsworth in 1996 on the topsoil strip for new access road for the Novar Windfarm. This cut across the abandoned crofts and later small farms at Balnarge in Strathglass. The remains of the buildings were examined and described. <2>
This site has also previously been recorded under 2 other numbers NH56NE0058 & NH56NE0059, now removed from the records.
The 1st edition shows 4 roofed buildings & 1 unroofed building dispersed with small enclosures, marked as Balnard. <3>
- <1> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Hamilton, J.. 1995. Proposed Windfarm, Novar Estate, Ross and Cromarty District, Highland Region: Archaeological Assessment. Centre for Field Archaeology, Univ of Edinburgh. 30/01/1995. Paper and Digital.
- <2> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Wordsworth, J.. 1997. An Archaeological Watching Brief at Novar Wind Farm. Wordsworth Archaeological Services. 26/04/2002. Paper and Digital.
- <3> Verbal Communication: White, H. Comment by Hilary White, HC Archaeologist.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 5649 6890 (160m by 160m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (2)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/103701 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.