MHG20124 - 'BA Flat Axe, Ross and Cromarty'
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- FINDSPOT (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
- None recorded
(Flat axe: Biggar variant of Migdale type). Ross and Cromarty (?). Flat axe, porous, cleaned, originally brown (?), scratch marks on one face, sides facetted. Length 124mm, butt 25mm, cutting edge 69mm, weight 210 gms. NMAS DA 87.
P K Schmidt and C B Burgess 1981.
This axehead was catalogued and photographed as part of the North Kessock&District Local History Society and Archaeology for Communities in the Highlands (ARCH) collaborative 'Feats of Clay' Project, which was focused on Bronze Age metalworking around the Moray Firth. It was assigned an Early Bronze Age date. <1>
- --- SHG1474 Text/Publication/Article: Coles, J M. 1971. 'Scottish Early Bronze Age metalwork', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 101 1968-9, p.1-110. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 1-110. 86.
- --- SHG2372 Text/Publication/Volume: Junghans, Sangmeister and Schroder, S, E and M. 1968. Studien zu den Anfangen der Metallurgie II: Kupfer und Bronze in der fruhen Metallzeit Europas. pt. 2.3, no. 7380.
- --- SHG28278 Dataset/Database File: National Museums Scotland. 2019. Highland Finds from the NMS Catalogue. National Museums Scotland. Digital. DA 87.
- --- SHG3000 Text/Publication/Article: Schmidt and Burgess, P K and C B. 1981. 'The axes of Scotland and Northern England', Prahistorische Bronzefunde Vol. 9. Prahistorische Bronzefunde. 48, no. 232.
- --- SHG565 Text/Publication/Article: PSAS. 1925. 'Donations to and purchases for the Museum and Library', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 59 1924-5, p.11-18, 71-5, 109-13, 153-7, 196-8, 232-6. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 11-18, 71-5, 109-13, 153-. 14.
- <1> SHG28012 Text/Publication/Monograph: Clark, G., Cowie, T. & Kruse, S. 2017. Feats of Clay. Cat. No. 13.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 2500 6499 (4m by 4m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
- AXEHEAD (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/96882 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.