MHG20128 - BA Flat Axe, Inverness-Shire
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- FINDSPOT (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
- None recorded
(Flat axe of Dunnottar type). 'Inverness-shire'. Flat axe, smooth surface, green patina, cutting edge sharpened (modern), sides facetted. Length 123mm, butt 31mm, cutting edge 69mm, weight 340 gms. Hunterian Mus., Glasgow (B.1914.267).
P K Schmidt and C B Burgess 1981.
This axehead was catalogued and photographed as part of the North Kessock & District Local History Society and Archaeology for Communities in the Highlands (ARCH) collaborative 'Feats of Clay' Project, which was focused on Bronze Age metalworking around the Moray Firth. It was assigned an Early Bronze Age date. <1>
See link below to Hunterian Museum Catalogue for photo of the axehead. <2>
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Coles, J M. 1971. 'Scottish Early Bronze Age metalwork', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 101 1968-9, p.1-110. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 1-110. 82, 93.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Schmidt and Burgess, P K and C B. 1981. 'The axes of Scotland and Northern England', Prahistorische Bronzefunde Vol. 9. Prahistorische Bronzefunde. 22, no. 51.
- <1> Text/Publication/Monograph: Clark, G., Cowie, T. & Kruse, S. 2017. Feats of Clay. Cat. No. 35.
- <2> Interactive Resource/Online Database: Hunterian Museum. 2020. Hunterian Museum Online Collections Catalogue. GLAHM:B.1914.267.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 5500 3000 (4m by 4m) (Buffered by site type)|
- AXEHEAD (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://collections.gla.ac.uk/ (Link to online Hunterian Museum Catalogue)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/96886 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.