MHG2021 - Broch, SE of Stemster Farm
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- BROCH (Iron Age - 550 BC to 560 AD)
Cairn (NR) (site of) OS 6" map, (1968)
A cairn is said to have stood in rough ground near angle of a field SE of Stemster farm. It must have been of considerable extent as foundation still remains and is overgrown by heath so that portion shown on trace cannot be ploughed.
Name Book 1872.
Broch, Hill of Stemeter: A mound, much spread with diameter about 110ft and from 3-4ft high, is located 300 yds SSE of Stemster farmhouse. A number of flat stones on surface suggest that mound covers ruin of a broch.
RCAHMS 1911, visited 1910.
The site of broch or cairn is on summit of a low hillock. Old plough lines running E-W are evident over hillock and there are now no surveyable remains of a broch or cairn. A scatter of small stones lie around area.
Visited by OS (E G C) 21 April 1962.
As described. There is nothing specific to identify character of site, but a broch is the more likely classification.
Visited by OS (N K B) 3 September 1982.
Ordnance Survey, Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey, Book No. 13, 145 (Text/Publication/Monograph). SHG3343.
RCAHMS, 1911, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness, 146, No. 505 (Text/Report). SHG2664.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness. . 146, No. 505.
- --- Text/Publication/Monograph: Ordnance Survey. Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey. 13. Book No. 13, 145.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 3384 5029 (70m by 70m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (3)
- http://data.historic-scotland.gov.uk/pls/htmldb/f?p=2300:35:1177880253467667::::P35_SELECTED_MONUMENT:583 (Historic Scotland scheduled monument description (old hyperlink))
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM583 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/9255 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.