MHG2032 - Cist & Stone rows, Broughwhin
No summary available.
Type and Period (2)
- BURIAL CAIRN (Undated)
- SHORT CIST (Undated)
Cairn, 18ft diameter, with short cist, and four stone rows radiating to SW. Only 6 or 7 stones remain: the furthest is about 110ft from the cairn. They are thin slabs, up to 2ft in height, set with their broad faces looking across the rows. These features lie at south end of the ridge between Groat's Loch and Broughwhin.
The cairn (with short cist exposed) and stone rows are as described by Commission and are located at ND 3125 4097.
Surveyed at 1/2500. Visited by OS (N K B) 27 April 1967.
Cairn & Stone Rows (NR) OS 1:10,000 map, (1976)
These stone rows were not located by Historic Scotland and as a result excluded from the scheduling list, dated 28/02/00. This document makes no mention of the cairn.
J Aitken : 20/02/01.
RCAHMS, 1911, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness, 180, No. 560 (Text/Report). SHG2664.
Freer and Myatt, R and L J, 1982, 'The multiple stone rows of Caithness and Sutherland. 2. Their description. I', Caithness Fld Club Bulletin Vol. 3 April 1982, p.58-63, 60, No. 5 (Text/Publication/Article). SHG1694.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Freer and Myatt, R and L J. 1982. 'The multiple stone rows of Caithness and Sutherland. 2. Their description. I', Caithness Fld Club Bulletin Vol. 3 April 1982, p.58-63. Caithness Fld Club Bulletin. 58-63. 60, No. 5.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness. . 180, No. 560.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 3125 4096 (10m by 10m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (3)
- http://data.historic-scotland.gov.uk/pls/htmldb/f?p=2300:35:1177880253467667::::P35_SELECTED_MONUMENT:429 (Historic Scotland scheduled monument description (old hyperlink))
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM429 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/9017 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.