MHG2044 - Battle Site, Moor of Tannach
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- BATTLE SITE (Medieval - 1058 AD to 1559 AD)
- None recorded
About 1464 (Morrison 1883; Gunn and Mackay 1897), in 1438 (Campbell 1920), the Keiths and the Gunns fought a clan battle on the Moor of Tannach west of Wick. The Keiths won.
H Morrison 1883; A Gunn and J Mackay 1897; A MacKay 1914; H F Campbell 1920.
The elderly resident of Kinlochy (Mrs E Thompson) recounted that according to her father the conflict had traditionally taken place in the vicinity of ND 330 475.
Visited by OS (J B) 19 August 1982.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Campbell, H F. 1920. Caithness and Sutherland. 50.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Gunn and Mackay, A and J (eds.). 1897. Sutherland and the Reay country: history, antiquities, folklore, topographical, regiments, ecclesiastical records, poetry and music etc. 30.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Beaton, D (ed.). 1914. History of the Province of Caithness and Sutherland from the Earliest Times to 1615. 103-4.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Morrison, H. 1883. Tourist's guide to Sutherland and Caithness. 56.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 3299 4750 (50m by 50m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/8964 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.