MHG20698 - Site of farmstead, 400m north east of Taindore

Summary

The site of a small farmstead depicted on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey map.

Type and Period (1)

  • FARMSTEAD (Built, 18th Century to 19th Century - 1701 AD to 1875 AD (at some time))

Protected Status

  • None recorded

Full Description

NH65SE 39 6832 5132

A farmstead comprising an unroofed long building and an unroofed structure is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Ross-shire 1871-4-6-80, sheet ci), but it is not shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10000 map (1976).
Information from RCAHMS (SAH) 16 April 1996 <1><2>

Further information about this site was submitted by John MacDonald, a local resident, in March 2010. The site of the buildings is on a small ,fairly level ledge on an otherwise steep slope, situated between two estate roads which pass fairly close to each other. There are many indications of the buildings there, although about half of the site is obscured by brush and fallen trees. There are many remaining walls, mainly one course high, an almost complete rectangle is openly visible and under the brushwood an area appears to have been cut into the hillside, with a retaining wall of rubble. <3><4>

Sources/Archives (4)

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred NH 68309 51321 (40m by 25m) (Centred)
Map sheet NH65SE
Geographical Area ROSS AND CROMARTY
Civil Parish KNOCKBAIN

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Investigations/Events (0)

External Links (1)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.