MHG20868 - Farmstead - Cambuscurrie Wood
Ruined farmstead and enclosure, Cambuscurrie Wood
Type and Period (2)
- FARMSTEAD (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- ENCLOSURE (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- None recorded
A farmstead comprising an unroofed building within an incomplete enclosure is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Ross-shire and Cromartyshire 1881, sheet xli), but it is not shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10000 map (1992).
Information from RCAHMS (SAH) 1 April 1996.
In August 2015, a walkover survey was undertaken in Morangie Forest, Edderton by Anne Coombs on behalf of the Forestry Commission Scotland to identify and demarcate archaeological sites in advance of pre-thinning operations.
A building lies immediately to the north of a ruined building (see MGH20850) within the plantation. It is c.12m SE-NW by c.5m with walls c.1m wide and up to c.0.75m high. The walls are covered with low vegetation and there are trees close to the wall. The entrance is not obvious and there do not appear to be internal divisions. The site is recorded as an unroofed structure with a partial enclosure which appears to be open on the north side on the 1st Edition Survey. The enclosure appears to cross the possibly later E-W dyke and is visible within the plantation to the south. <1>
Note: Site not visible on aerial photographs so approximate NGR and dimensions copied from 1st Edition OS 6". <2> (T. Blackie 12/10/21)
|Grid reference||Centred NH 7347 8376 (28m by 33m)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/104055 (View HES Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.