MHG2111 - Broch, Gansclet
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- BROCH (Iron Age - 550 BC to 560 AD)
- None recorded
An artificial mound, evidently containing ruin of a broch, lies partly beneath the house of Henry Taylor, Gansclet. It is about 70ft in diameter and 5ft in height, is turf-covered and has a number of flat stones protruding from it.
Mr Stewart, occupier of house once owned by Henry Taylor, sited the broch to a slight rise at ND 3361 4440 and described the removal of the mound and a broch-like structure 'about 30 years ago', the stone being used to build the road to the house.
Site surveyed at 1:2500. Visited by OS (R L) 25 April 1967.
(ND 3362 4441) Broch (NR) (site of) OS 1:10,000 map, (1976)
RCAHMS, 1911, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness, 145, No. 501 (Text/Report). SHG2664.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 3362 4441 (70m by 70m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/9079 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.