MHG21126 - Spinningdale, Threshing Mill
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- THRESHING MILL (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
GR corrected to above from 1st ed OS, where large rectangular building is marked as Thrashing mill, with mill lade to N - HAW 9/2004
The Industrial Archaeology of Sutherland (A Scottish Highland Economy 1700-1900, p. 222) - Sinclair B Calder, 1974
J Aitken : 19/2/2004
Site listed on OS 25" 1874 Sutherland Sheet No CXII.5. Now no trace of mill-site overgrown GJ Douglas 4/5/1992
The threshing mill is depicted and labelled (‘thrashing mill’) on the 1st edition OS map; it is depicted but not labelled as such on the 2nd edition map. <2>
- --- SHG12693 Image/Photograph(s): Spinningdale Mill.. Colour Slide; Digital Image. .
- --- SHG364 Text/Manuscript: Calder, Sinclair B.. 1974. The Industrial Archaeology of Sutherland: A Scottish Highland Economy 1700-1900. The University of Strathclyde.
- <2> SHG28299 Dataset/Database File: Susan Kruse. 2014. Ledmore and Migdale Memories Project. Archaeology for Communities in the Highlands (ARCH). Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 6750 8961 (40m by 40m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/104544 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.