MHG21342 - Towmship - Slaggan
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- TOWNSHIP (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
An unnamed correspondent commenting with regard to a nearby planning application states that the township dates to 1734. An approach has been made to Historic Scotland to schedule the site. <1>
NG89SW 10 centred on 844 940
A township comprising twenty-two roofed, three partially roofed and two unroofed buildings, four enclosures, some field walls and two lengths of head-dyke is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Ross-shire 1881, sheet xix). Fourteen unroofed buildings, five enclosures, a sheepfold, some field walls and part of a head-dyke are shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10560 map (1969).
Information from RCAHMS (SAH) 22 April 1996
Gairloch Museum contains a Craggan pot found in a loch at Slaggan. It may possibly relate to this township. <2>
|Grid reference||Centred NG 8440 9400 (100m by 100m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/105053 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.