MHG2142 - St.Mary's Chapel
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CHAPEL (Early Medieval to 19th Century - 561 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
St Mary's Chapel (NR) (remains of)
OS 6" map, (1968)
St Mary's Chapel, Sibster: The foundations are traceable but none of building is visible. The chapel appears to have measured about 40ft by 20ft internally. It is described in 1726 (Macfarlane 1906-8) as "Ane old chapple called Marykirk, which the commons did superstitiously frequent on the first Sabbath after the new moon".
RCAHMS 1911; W Macfarlane 1906-8.
The walls of St Mary's Chapel have been robbed, leaving only earth and stone banks 0.3m high enclosing an area 13 by 7.5m. Part of graveyard wall is traceable as an earth and stone bank 0.5m maximum height.
Revised at 1:2500. Visited by OS (R D L) 26 April 1963.
The remains of St Mary's Chapel are as described by previous field investigator. Traces of graveyard wall can be seen on N and S sides of chapel. Visited by OS (J M) 28 July 1982
Chapel, St Mary's, Sibster. Dimensions: 13 x 6m. Rectangular structure, with walls running parallel to and 2.5m from the long wall, the remains of the graveyard wall. Orientation E-W.
R J Mercer, NMRS MS/828/19, 1995
George Watson, Caithness Chapel Sites (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG3470.
Mitchell, Sir A and Clark, J T (eds.), 1906-8, Geographical collections relating to Scotland, Vol. 1, 594 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2441.
RCAHMS, 1911, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness, 193, No. 594 (Text/Report). SHG2664.
Myatt, L J, 1975, 'The early ecclesiatical remains of Wick Parish', Caithness Fld Club Bulletin Vol. 1 Oct 1975, p.81-4, 81-4 (Text/Publication/Article). SHG1656.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Myatt, L J. 1975. 'The early ecclesiatical remains of Wick Parish', Caithness Fld Club Bulletin Vol. 1 Oct 1975, p.81-4. Caithness Fld Club Bulletin. 81-4. 81-4.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Mitchell, Sir A and Clark, J T (eds.). 1906-8. Geographical collections relating to Scotland. Vol. 1, 594.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness. . 193, No. 594.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: George Watson. Caithness Chapel Sites.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 3241 5223 (40m by 40m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/9250 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.