MHG2148 - Font, Stirkoke House
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- FONT (Early Medieval to Medieval - 561 AD to 1559 AD)
- None recorded
A rudely shaped circular sandstone block, having a deep basin hollowed out of it, now stands in the centre of flower garden of Stirkoke House. The block is 1ft 4ins high; its circumference at top, 6ft 3ins, and at base 5ft; the overall diameter is 2ft but inside is 1ft 6ins. The edge of basin is rounded, but there is no ornament. It is said to have been found in Haster (? Mary) ford of the Wick River near St Mary's Church and then to have been removed by a blacksmith in the neighbourhood for use in cooling irons.
What is supposed to be baptismal font of St Mary's Chapel (ND35SW 2) is now at Stirkoke House, but it was at Haster Smithy (ND 3265 5120) for a long time.
D Beaton 1909.
Generally as described above, this stone basin is situated at ND 3189 5065. Visited by OS (R D L) 26 April 1963.
Access not gained. 'Font' believed to be removed.
Visited by OS (J M) 27 July 1982.
George Watson, Caithness Chapel Sites (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG3470.
Beaton, D, 1909, Ecclesiastical history of Caithness and annals of Caithness parishes, 55 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG1965.
RCAHMS, 1911, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness, 185, No. 569 (Text/Report). SHG2664.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Beaton, D. 1909. Ecclesiastical history of Caithness and annals of Caithness parishes. 55.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness. . 185, No. 569.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: George Watson. Caithness Chapel Sites.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 3189 5064 (4m by 4m) (Buffered by site type)|
- FONT (Undated)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/9257 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.