MHG2149 - St. Cuthbert's Church, Haster
No summary available.
Type and Period (2)
- CHAPEL (Early Medieval to 19th Century - 561 AD to 1900 AD)
- CEMETERY (Undated)
- None recorded
St Cuthbert's Church (NR) (remains of) OS 6" map, (1968)
St Cuthbert's Chapel (remains of) OS 1;10,000 map, (1994)
St Cuthbert's Church, or Chapel of Haster, appears to have been a chancelled building measuring 40 by 14ft internally with the chancel wall about 13ft from E end, but no wall faces are exposed, so measurements are approximate. It is noted in 1726 as the 'Chapell of Haulster - the common people bury their dead about it'.
RCAHMS 1911; W Macfarlane 1906-8.
There are evidences (not stated) that there were other buildings beside chapel, and remains of what was possibly the foundation of a wall enclosing the burial place can still be traced.
D Beaton 1909.
Generally as described by RCAHMS, footings of St Cuthbert's Chapel consist of turf-covered walls 0.4m high and measuring on plan 14 by 7m. Stones piled in interior are probably result of field clearance. To S is the outline of another building, measuring 11 by 5m and 0.1m high. No trace of a wall bounding a grave yard.
Revised at 1:2500. Visited by OS (R D L) 26 April 1963.
St Cuthbert's Chapel is on summit of a thickly overgrown uncultivated rise in a field, showing as a rectangular depression edged with rubble stones. The depression is aligned E-W and measures some 14 by 7m across by 0.4m deep. Field clearance has been dumped in depression and on rise generally. No other building remains were noticed, o sign of a graveyard wall.
Revised at 1:2500. Visited by OS (J M) 27 July 1982.
An unroofed building, which is aligned E-W, is depicted on 1st edition of OS 6-inch map (Caithness 1877, sheet xxiv) and it is shown as a ruin on current edition of OS 1:10,000 map (1994) annotated as 'St Cuthbert's Chapel (remains of)'.
Information from RCAHMS (SAH) 22 January 1996
George Watson, Caithness Chapel Sites (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG3470.
Mitchell, Sir A and Clark, J T (eds.), 1906-8, Geographical collections relating to Scotland, Vol. 1, 160 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2441.
Beaton, D, 1909, Ecclesiastical history of Caithness and annals of Caithness parishes, 56 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG1965.
RCAHMS, 1911, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness, 192, No. 593 (Text/Report). SHG2664.
Myatt, L J, 1975, 'The early ecclesiatical remains of Wick Parish', Caithness Fld Club Bulletin Vol. 1 Oct 1975, p.81-4, 81 (Text/Publication/Article). SHG1656.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Myatt, L J. 1975. 'The early ecclesiatical remains of Wick Parish', Caithness Fld Club Bulletin Vol. 1 Oct 1975, p.81-4. Caithness Fld Club Bulletin. 81-4. 81.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Beaton, D. 1909. Ecclesiastical history of Caithness and annals of Caithness parishes. 56.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Mitchell, Sir A and Clark, J T (eds.). 1906-8. Geographical collections relating to Scotland. Vol. 1, 160.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness. . 192, No. 593.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: George Watson. Caithness Chapel Sites.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 3300 5026 (200m by 200m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/9258 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.