MHG2163 - Possible Broch, Shorelands
No summary available.
Type and Period (2)
- BROCH (Iron Age - 550 BC to 560 AD)
- (Alternate Type) MOUND (Iron Age - 550 BC to 560 AD)
- None recorded
ND35SE 19 3647 5425 and 3656 5424.
On right hand side of road from Shorelands farm to the sea, and some yards NE of the farm are two mounds, apparently artificial, both under cultivation. Judging from the stones that have been exposed, the mound nearer the road has probably been a broch.
There are two mounds in area described above, both considerably ploughed out, completely grass-covered, and having no surveyable limits. One, at ND 3656 5424, is now approximately 70m in diameter and 2m high. The other, at ND 3647 5425 and nearer the road, it some 45m in diameter and 1m high.
Mr Macpherson (farmer, Shorelands) states that there is much stone in both mounds, but that the one nearer the road contained most, and he is convinced that there are the remains of a building beneath the surface here. He recalled an occasion after ploughing when he had probed a crevice between some of the stones to a depth of some 6ft without touching bottom.
Visited by OS (R D L) 20 April 1963.
There are now traces of these mounds and although both sites have been ploughed, no stones are visible.
C E Batey 1981.
The field was under crop when visited, making field investigation impossible.
Visited by OS (J B) 22 July 1982.
RCAHMS, 1911, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness, 190, No. 584 (Text/Report). SHG2664.
Batey, C E, 1981, Caithness coastal survey 1981: interim report, No. 140 (Text/Report/Fieldwork Report). SHG1959.
- --- Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Batey, C E. 1981. Caithness coastal survey 1981: interim report. University of Durham, Department of Archaeology. . No. 140.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness. . 190, No. 584.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 3647 5425 (70m by 70m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/9148 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.