MHG21718 - St. Anns, Church Street, Cromarty
A tall 3 storey merchant's house c.1800.
Type and Period (1)
- HOUSE (18th Century to 19th Century - 1800 AD? to 1801 AD?)
A tall 3 storey merchant's house built c.1800 with a low two storey rubble-built west wing, probably early 19th century. Full details are available in the listed building information. <1>
This building is a good example of the technique known as "cherry caulking", in this case using slate. The above rubble-built wing was formerly mistakenly recorded on the HER as the bakehouse. It is likely to have been a kitchen. <2>
- --- Image/Photograph(s): Taylor, A. 02/2010. A Collection of Highland Buildings and Monuments. Colour. Yes. Digital.
- <1> Dataset: Historic Scotland. Information Supplementary to the Statutory List (This information has no legal significance). Digital.
- <2> Verbal Communication: Tilbury, S. Comment by Sylvina Tilbury, HER Officer.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 79070 67361 (20m by 20m) (Centred)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB23600 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/105673 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.