MHG2186 - Standing Stone - Gansclet

Summary

No summary available.

Type and Period (1)

  • STANDING STONE (Undated)

Protected Status

Full Description

Standing Stone (NR) OS 1:10,000 map, (1976)

A large flat upright stone which, in 1871, stood about 8ft high, 2ft broad and 4ins thick. <1>

It was broken in 19th century and in 1910 consisted of one slab protruding 1ft 6ins from the ground with another, 7ft 4ins by 3ft 7ins by 4ins, set on top and held in place by three or four smaller slabs driven into the ground on either face. It faces E-W and is uninscribed. <2>

The stone was Scheduled in 1939.

A standing stone, as described. Visited by OS (RL) 26 April 1967.

Recently re-erected by local farmer. <3>

The Scheduling was amended by Historic Environment Scotland in 2017. <4>


<1> Ordnance Survey, Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey, Book No. 13, 245 (Text/Publication/Monograph). SHG3343.


<2> RCAHMS, 1911, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness, 185, No. 566 (Text/Report). SHG2664.


<3> Batey, C E, 1981, Caithness coastal survey 1981: interim report, Wic 190 (Text/Report/Fieldwork Report). SHG1959.


<4> Historic Environment Scotland, 2017, Amended entry in the Schedule of Monuments: SM451 Rockhill, standing stone 225m SW of (Text/Designation Notification/Scheduled Monument). SHG27824.

Sources/Archives (4)

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred ND 3382 4473 (10m by 10m) (Buffered by site type)
Map sheet ND34SW
Civil Parish WICK
Geographical Area CAITHNESS

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Investigations/Events (0)

External Links (2)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.