MHG2188 - Stone Rows, Watenan
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- STONE ALIGNMENT (Undated)
- None recorded
The remains of four stone rows stand on a ridge running N and S, some 300 yds WSW of Watenan farm. They appear to have radiated from N but no cairn is visible in association. The stones are thin slabs up to 2ft in height and breadth, and facing across the rows. They have been much disturbed but the rows seem to have stood about 9ft apart and the stones about 5ft from each other. The rows cover an area of about 94ft by 36ft and are aligned N and S. RCAHMS 1911.
These stone rows stand at ND 3152 4118 but only 16 stones remain.
Surveyed at 1/2500. Visited by OS (N K B) 27 April 1967.
(ND 3152 4118) Stone Rows (NR) OS 1:10,000 map, (1976)
This is a rather ruinous site, but nevertheless one which enabled Professor Thom to produce a geometrical plan similar to that of Mid Clyth. The stones are set on a low ridge of level peat-covered ground running N-S. The remains of four quite distinct rows may be seen with small upright stones still standing. In total, 15 stones are still erect with their flat faces running along the rows and a further 37 are seen to be fallen. Apart from largest stone, which stands to a height of 0.6m at NEcorner of the setting, the stones are mostly only ankle high, being submerged in the peat. They are up to 0.6m in length along the rows. The plan shows a geometrical grid of radial lines and arcs spaced at intervals of three megalithic yards (2.5m). The central axis of the fan has an azimuth of 13.5 degrees, with a radius to base of 280 MY (232m).
L Myatt 1988.
RCAHMS, 1911, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness, 186, No. 571 (Text/Report). SHG2664.
Freer and Myatt, R and L J, 1982, 'The multiple stone rows of Caithness and Sutherland. 2. Their description. I', Caithness Fld Club Bulletin Vol. 3 April 1982, p.58-63, 59, No. 3; plan fig. 2 (Text/Publication/Article). SHG1694.
Myatt, L, 1988, The stone rows of northern Scotland, 280, 281, 285, 286, 314, No. 2 (Text/Publication/Article). SHG3158.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Freer and Myatt, R and L J. 1982. 'The multiple stone rows of Caithness and Sutherland. 2. Their description. I', Caithness Fld Club Bulletin Vol. 3 April 1982, p.58-63. Caithness Fld Club Bulletin. 58-63. 59, No. 3; plan fig. 2.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness. . 186, No. 571.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Myatt, L. 1988. The stone rows of northern Scotland. 277-318. 280, 281, 285, 286, 314, No. 2.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 3151 4118 (30m by 30m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/9022 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.