MHG219 - Inner Sinni Geo
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- FARMSTEAD (Undated)
- None recorded
A modern crofting settlement comprising four structures, a stone-lined cutting into N bank of stream, with a millstone present, and various associated boundaries. Located to W and S of stream at sea-mouth, it is now a very wet site with marsh and reeds partially surrounding buildings. The walls are mainly grass-covered although some stonework is visible. The buildings are aligned roughly E-W and face S.
C E Batey 1982.
A long-house associated with walls and a bridge. The longhouse ('a' on plan) is grass-covered, 18m E-W by 4m by 0.5m high, divided internally. Another possible structure is attached to a wall running to NW. A wall ('b' on plan), at least 100m long, very tumbled and grass-covered froms perimeter of the farms tead. The possible bridge ('c' on plan) consists of tumbled squared stones at the stream. A millstone lies slightly downstream. A structure('d' on plan) of upr ight stone slabs measures 10m E-W by 3m by 0.5m high. An outbuilding 4 by 3m is attached to the N.
R J Mercer 1981.
A farmstead comprising two unroofed buildings, both attached to lengths of field wall, is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Caithness 1876, sheet i), but it is not shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10,000 map (1976).
Information from RCAHMS (SAH) 16 January 1996
- --- Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Batey, C E. 1984. Caithness Coastal Survey 1980-82: Dunnet Head to Ousdale. University of Durham, Department of Archaeology. 30/01/1984. Digital (scanned as PDF). DUN 005.
- --- Text/Report: Batey, C E. 1982. Caithness coastal survey 1982: interim reports 1980-2. . No. 5.
- --- Image/Photograph(s): Glass, D. Photographs of various HER sites submitted by David Glass. Colour. Yes. Digital.
- --- Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Mercer, R J. 1981. Archaeological field survey in northern Scotland: volume II, 1980-81. University of Edinburgh. 30/12/1981. Paper and Digital. 76, 163, no. 609; Plan, fig.30.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 2189 7456 (100m by 100m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/8900 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.