MHG2190 - Standing Stone - Langstane
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- STANDING STONE (Neolithic to Late Bronze Age - 4000 BC to 551 BC)
Standing Stone (NR) OS 1:10,000 map, (1976)
A large standing stone of blue Caithness flag, 6ft 6ins high, 3ft broad at its base and 2ft 8ins at its apex, and 1ft 4ins thick, facing NNW-SSE.
The stranding stone was scheduled in 1939.
As described. Visited by OS (N K B) 27 April 1967.
The standing syone was rescheduled by Historic Environment Scotland in 2016 to better reflect its location. <1> <2>
The GIS spatial data was amended in 2017 to its location as seen on 2009 APs. <3>`
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness. . 187, No. 575.
- <1> Text/Designation Notification/Scheduled Monument: Historic Environment Scotland. 2016. Changes to the schedule of Monuments 01/09/2016. Historic Environment Scotland. Digital.
- <2> Text/Designation Notification/Scheduled Monument: Historic Environment Scotland. 2016. Amended entry in the Schedule of Monuments: SM501: Langstane, standing stone 40m S of. Historic Environment Scotland. Digital.
- <3> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 2009. Getmapping aerial photography 2009. XY
|Grid reference||Centred ND 3243 4164 (25m by 25m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM501 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/9024 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.