MHG21969 - 36 High Street, Fort William
This building was formerly the Caledonian Hotel, as depicted on the 1st and 2nd edition Ordnance Survey maps.
Type and Period (2)
- HOUSE? (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- HOTEL (Built, 19th Century - 1840 AD? to 1871 AD (at some time))
- None recorded
A local researcher, George Fox, reports that this building was the originally the Caledonian Hotel, which was subsequently enlarged to incorporate 38 High Street. There is a well and an oven in the basement of this building which would have been used as the kitchen. <1>
This building is depicted as the Caledonian Hotel on the 1st and 2nd edition Ordnance Maps of 1871 and 1900. <2><3>
<1> Private individual, 2008-11, Feedback from website visitor, George Fox, 07/10/2008 (Text/Correspondence). SHG22709.
<2> Ordnance Survey, 1871-4, Ordnance Survey 1st edition 25 inch map: Inverness (Image/Map). SHG23389.
<3> Ordnance Survey, 1900-5, Ordnance Survey 2nd edition 25 inch map: Inverness (Image/Map). SHG23940.
- <1> Text/Correspondence: Private individual. 2008-11. Feedback from website visitor. Yes. Digital. George Fox, 07/10/2008.
- <2> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1871-4. Ordnance Survey 1st edition 25 inch map: Inverness. Digital.
- <3> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1900-5. Ordnance Survey 2nd edition 25 inch map: Inverness. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NN 10241 73929 (17m by 20m)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/106425 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.