MHG17336 - 38 High Street, Fort William
The former British Linen Bank, built c.1840-1860, which became part of the Caledonian Hotel at some time during the later 19th century.
Type and Period (2)
- BANK (FINANCIAL) (Built, 19th Century - 1840 AD? to 1840 AD?)
- HOTEL (In use, 19th Century to 20th Century - 1840 AD? to 1973 AD? (at some time))
A local researcher, George Fox, reports that this building was formerly part of the first Caledonian Hotel. The original hotel building was at number 36, but as more and more tourists came to Fort William there was a need to enlarge it. This building was built about 1840. <1>
This building is depicted as part of the Caledonian Hotel on the 1st and 2nd edition Ordnance Survey maps. By 1973 it is depicted as a bank. <2>-<4>
Photographs were contributed by Martin Briscoe in July 2011 via the Highland HER Flickr group.
Briscoe, J M, 2008-11, Information and photographs of various sites submitted by Martin Briscoe, via Flickr (Image/Photograph(s)). SHG23810.
<1> Private individual, 2008-11, Feedback from website visitor, George Fox, 07/10/2008 (Text/Correspondence). SHG22709.
<2> Ordnance Survey, 1871-4, Ordnance Survey 1st edition 25 inch map: Inverness (Image/Map). SHG23389.
<3> Ordnance Survey, 1900-5, Ordnance Survey 2nd edition 25 inch map: Inverness (Image/Map). SHG23940.
<4> Ordnance Survey, 1968-1973, Ordnance Survey 25 inch map: Epoch 5b (Image/Map). SHG23946.
- --- Image/Photograph(s): Briscoe, J M. 2008-11. Information and photographs of various sites submitted by Martin Briscoe. Colour. Yes. Digital. via Flickr.
- <1> Text/Correspondence: Private individual. 2008-11. Feedback from website visitor. Yes. Digital. George Fox, 07/10/2008.
- <2> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1871-4. Ordnance Survey 1st edition 25 inch map: Inverness. Digital.
- <3> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1900-5. Ordnance Survey 2nd edition 25 inch map: Inverness. Digital.
- <4> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1968-1973. Ordnance Survey 25 inch map: Epoch 5b. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NN 10236 73924 (18m by 21m)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (3)
- http://data.historic-scotland.gov.uk/pls/htmldb/f?p=2200:15:0::::BUILDING:31787 (View listed building information on Historic Scotland's website (old hyperlink))
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB31787 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/108569 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.