MHG22 - Charcoal burning platforms, Druim Nan Sloc
Several charcoal burning platforms situated along the steep slopes within a late 18th-century woodland enclosure.
Type and Period (2)
- (Former Type) PLATFORM (Unknown date)
- CHARCOAL BURNING PLATFORM (18th Century to 19th Century - 1701 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
Recessed platforms: details available from the Forest District Manager, Lochaber Forest District Office, Torlundy.
J E Kirby 1993 <1>
A number of charcoal-burner's platforms were identified during an archaeological survey of this National Nature Reserve undertaken in 1999. The report describes seven such platforms, which are believed to be associated with a late 18th-century woodland enclosure. It is noted that more platforms may lie undetected in the overgrown vegetation. It is noted that recent excavations in mid-Argyll suggest that charcoal burners re-used earlier house platforms, two of which were radiocarbon dated to the 11th century AD, therefore these platforms could potentially be of much greater antiquity than previously assumed. <2>
At least some of these charcoal-burners platforms are presumed to equate to the features mentioned in <1>. The platforms have yet to be indexed or mapped individually. See the fieldwork report (above) for full details. <3>
- <1> Text/Publication/Article: Kirby, J E. 1993. 'Sunart Forest Area, Lochaber Forest District (Ardnamurchan parish): survey of Forestry Commission ground', Discovery and Excavation in Scotland 1993, p.45-6. Discovery and Excavation in Scotland. 45-6. 46.
- <2> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Robertson, J G. 09/1999. An Archaeological survey of Glencripesdale National Nature Reserve, Morvern, Argyll. Unaffiliated. 30/09/1999. Digital (scanned as PDF). pp 8-9, Sites 2, 8, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15.
- <3> Verbal Communication: Tilbury, S. Comment by Sylvina Tilbury, HER Officer.
|Grid reference||Centred NM 692 617 (20m by 20m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/81937 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.