MHG22006 - Storehouse, Harbour Road, Fortrose

Summary

No summary available.

Type and Period (2)

  • SAW MILL (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
  • (Former Type) STOREHOUSE? (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status

  • None recorded

Full Description

Marked as saw mill on 1st ed OS. Substantial stone building over several storeys on flatter land beside the shore, but northern end tucked up close to the higher road end, with entrance to highest floor at this point. Northern end is still unrendered sandstone, but southern end is rendered, painted white and converted to residential. <1><2>

Saw mill is marked to the E of these buildings on the 2nd edition Ordnance Survey maps, perhaps suggesting that other buildings built on the site of the gas works, are now part of the operational set up of the mill. <3>

Photographs of this building were submitted to the HER in October 2010 by Shirley Ross, Scientific Officer, TEC Services, Highland Council. It is much as described by <1> in appearance. <4>

Sources/Archives (4)

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred NH 7235 5630 (19m by 34m)
Map sheet NH75NW
Geographical Area ROSS AND CROMARTY
Civil Parish ROSEMARKIE

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Investigations/Events (0)

External Links (1)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.