MHG2202 - Chambered Long Cairn, Brounaban
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CHAMBERED LONG CAIRN (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2401 BC)
- None recorded
The greatly robbed and mutilated remains of a now mainly turf-covered long cairn, lying in a level field.
The remains lie in heaps about 2' high, though in places they are quarried to below ground level. Where exposed, the cairn material can be seen to be slabs, several large ones standing vertical or lying prone, but there is no definite indication of an internal structure. The cairn has measured about 175' long E - W, the E end being about 60' across and W possibly about 30', but it is rather vague W of where it is crossed by a track. E end, which lies at edge of a steep drop, is also vague but appears to have rounded corners and to be either straight or concave across the end. The long sides are still fairly distinct.
A S Henshall 1963; 1972; RCAHMS 1911.
ND 3200 4372: The indefinite remains of a long cairn as described above.
Surveyed at 1:2500. Visited by OS (R L) 20 April 1967.
(ND 3200 4373) Long Cairn (NR) (remains of) OS 1:10,000 map, (1976)
RCAHMS, 1911, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness, 191, No. 589 (Text/Report). SHG2664.
Henshall, A S, 1963, The chambered tombs of Scotland, Volume 1, 260, CAT 9 (Text/Publication/Monograph). SHG357.
Henshall, A S, 1972, The chambered tombs of Scotland, Volume 2, 548, CAT 9 (Text/Publication/Monograph). SHG358.
Davidson, JL and Henshall, A S, 1991, The chambered cairns of Caithness: an inventory of the structures and their contents, 94, no. 9; plan (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2115.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Davidson, JL and Henshall, A S. 1991. The chambered cairns of Caithness: an inventory of the structures and their contents. 94, no. 9; plan.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness. . 191, No. 589.
- --- Text/Publication/Monograph: Henshall, A S. 1963. The chambered tombs of Scotland, Volume 1. 260, CAT 9.
- --- Text/Publication/Monograph: Henshall, A S. 1972. The chambered tombs of Scotland, Volume 2. 2. Paper (Original). 548, CAT 9.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 3200 4373 (100m by 100m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/9037 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.