MHG2211 - McCole's Castle Chambered Cairn
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CHAMBERED CAIRN (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2401 BC)
McCole's Castle (NAT) Chambered Cairn (NR)
OS 6" map, (1960)
An Orkney-Cromarty type round cairn with a Camster-type chamber. Its diameter is about 70' E-W and 64' N-S and it is now partially grass-grown but the top, which has been much disturbed, is free of vegetation. Two stretches of walling of horizontal slabs are exposed on the south and SW. Slightly west of the centre of the cairn three upright slabs of the chamber, which was opened before 1867 and is entered from the east, protrude.
RCAHMS 1911; A S Henshall 1963.
Leaf shaped arrowheads were reportedly collected by Mr. Scott, the artist, from around the site. <1>
A chambered cairn, "McCole's Castle', 19.0m in diameter as described and planned by Henshall.
Visited by OS (I S S) 14 March 1972.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Davidson, JL and Henshall, A S. 1991. The chambered cairns of Caithness: an inventory of the structures and their contents. 126-7, no. 39; plan.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness. . 174, No. 545.
- --- Text/Publication/Monograph: Henshall, A S. 1963. The chambered tombs of Scotland, Volume 1. 282, CAT 39; plan.
- <1> Text/Publication/Article: Duff-Dunbar, L. 1935. 'A fort at Skitten, Wick, Caithness, with notes on flint implements from the same county', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 69 1934-5, p.108-17. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 108-17. pp. 116.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 3160 4336 (60m by 60m)|
- LEAF ARROWHEAD? (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2401 BC)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (3)
- http://data.historic-scotland.gov.uk/pls/htmldb/f?p=2300:35:1177880253467667::::P35_SELECTED_MONUMENT:467 (Historic Scotland scheduled monument description (old hyperlink))
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM467 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/9047 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.