MHG2215 - Hut circles, Loch of Yarrows

Summary

No summary available.

Type and Period (1)

  • HUT CIRCLE (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)

Protected Status

Full Description

A hut circle with a contiguous small circle, and to N, a small enclosure connected to hut by a bank.
The hut circle, lying on a slight knoll, is oval in plan with interior diameters of 17' and 21', and has been entered from S. The interior has been excavated so that floor is slightly below natural ground level and enclosing bank, about 2' high and about 7' broad, has been lined in interior with large slabs set on end. Immediately to left of entrance in interior is a recess in bank, lined with stones measuring 3' in diameter either way.
The small circle is attached to W side of hut and appears to have been entered from SSW through a passage 7' long. The internal diameter is about 7', and against inside of E wall, are two slabs, set on edge and at right angles to each other, 2' long by 1'8" high and 3" thick.
The small oval enclosure lying 31' to N measures 6' by 7' internally and appears to have been entered from W. Here also floor had been excavated to a slightly lower level than natural surface, and face of bank lined with stones.
The bank or wall which curves from front of this enclosure to W side of hut circle is visible in outline.
RCAHMS 1911, visited 1910.

A hut circle levelled into a S-facing slope and visible as a hollow with a surrounding wall largely obscured by peat. Several slabs on edge of inner face are visible in E and W giving an internal diameter of 5.5m but transverse diameter cannot be ascertained. The entrance in S is ill-defined. No outer facing stones are evident. The alleged recess is too overgrown with peat and may be a misinterpretation of tumble.
Against outside of wall are the two upright slabs at right angles to each other described by RCAHMS, but all that can be seen of their alleged contiguous small circle are a few stones protruding through the peat forming no intelligible pattern. 10m to SW of hut are several slabs on edge forming no intelligible pattern.
12m to N of hut is a stony hollow 3m diam described by RCAHMS as a "small oval enclosure lined with stones", but this looks simply to be a quarry hole, possibly into an extension of a peat covered wall spread to 2.5m leading to W from it. This wall is probably contemporary with the hut but its purpose is uncertain though it is possible that it forms N wall of an enclosure about 16m E-W by 6m transversely but generally obscured by peat. On level ground 20m to SE of hut is vague outline of another probable hut defined by a circular bank of peat spread to 2m wide measuring 7m between its centres and entirely obliterated in S.
Surveyed at 1:10,000. Visited by OS (I S S) 14 March 1972.

(Centred ND 309 428) Settlement (NR) (See also ND34SW 45 and 51) OS 1:10,000 map, (1976)

Surveyed at 1:1000. K Sabine 1980.

See assoc. docs. File (photo).
J Aitken : 14/03/02.


Untitled Source (Image/Photograph(s)). SHG4619.


Untitled Source (Image/Photograph(s)). SHG4620.


RCAHMS, 1911, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness, 166, No. 530 (Text/Report). SHG2664.


Proudfoot, E V W and Parker, A M (eds), 1980, Discovery and Excavation in Scotland 1980, p 18 (Text/Publication/Serial). SHG9.

Sources/Archives (4)

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred ND 3104 4295 (454m by 582m) (Buffered by site type)
Map sheet ND34SW
Civil Parish WICK
Geographical Area CAITHNESS

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Investigations/Events (0)

External Links (3)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.