MHG22293 - Findspot of Bronze Age dirk, Kinnudie
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- FINDSPOT (Middle Bronze Age - 1500 BC to 1251 BC)
- None recorded
Small Middle Bronze Age dirk blade (L: 104mm; butt W: 17mm) found with metal detector in ploughsoil. Reported as Treasure Trove and allocated to Inverness Museum.
R G Hanley and I Asher 1996
Information from ARCH Community Timeline Project: Auldearn:
Small blade found 1996 c. 4-5 inches down in ploughsoil.
Small dirk without rivel holes or notches. L: 104mm; W (butt): 17mm; W (shoulders): 24.5mm; max. Th: 4.4mm. The cross section relates it to Burgess and Gerloff's Group II, of which there were 14 others known from Scotland in 1996 (Cowie 1997).
Add to bibliography:
Trevor Cowie 1997. 'Middle Bronze Age dirk from Kinnudie Farm, by Auldearn, Nairn'. Report in Inverness Museum and Art Gallery. <1>
This dirk was catalogued and photographed as part of the North Kessock & District Local History Society and Archaeology for Communities in the Highlands (ARCH) collaborative 'Feats of Clay' Project, which was focused on Bronze Age metalworking around the Moray Firth. It was assigned a Middle Bronze Age date. <2>
The dirk was submitted to Treasure Trove (TT 07/96) and allocated to Inverness Museum. It is listed under Acc. No. 1997.400. <3>
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Hanley and Asher, R G and I. 1996. 'Kinnudie Farm (Auldearn parish), Middle Bronze Age dirk', Discovery and Excavation in Scotland 1996, p.59. Discovery and Excavation in Scotland. 59. 59.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: O'Connor and Cowie, B and T. 1995. 'Middle Bronze Age dirks and rapiers from Scotland: some finds old and new', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 125 1995, p.345-67. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 345-67. 345-67.
- <1> Collection/Project Archive: Archaeology for Communities in the Highlands (ARCH). 08/2011. Digital site gazetteer and archive for ARCH Community Timeline Project: Auldearn. Yes. Site 7.
- <2> Text/Publication/Monograph: Clark, G., Cowie, T. & Kruse, S. 2017. Feats of Clay. Cat. no. 79.
- <3> Dataset/Database File: Treasure Trove. 2019. Highland Finds from Treasure Trove Annual Reports 2004-18. Treasure Trove. Digital. TT 07/96.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 9129 5499 (4m by 4m)|
- DIRK (Middle Bronze Age - 1500 BC to 1251 BC)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/108971 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.