MHG22392 - The Smiddy, Courthill Road, Rosemarkie


The Smiddy, now a private residence

Type and Period (1)

  • SMITHY (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status

  • None recorded

Full Description

Back Road Alexander Ross, Blacksmith
Recorded in Slater’s 1911 and marked on the OS map 1904 edition as ‘Smithy’ next to the junction on Courthill Road. Jenny Paterson can remember a smithy there when she was a child in the 1930s. Alexander Ross died in 1936, aged 71. The buildings, both house and smithy, are described as ‘old’, constructed from stone with a slate roof. (IRS 1911) Alexander Ross owned both the smithy and the adjacent cottage. He employed William Alexander as a journeyman blacksmith. He rented several rigs of land in the locality. <1>

His son Alexander was joint tenant in 1931/2 but Alexander Ross died in 1936, aged 71, and by 1938/9 the smithy is recorded as ‘empty’. The buildings both house and smithy are described as ‘old’, constructed from stone with a slate roof. (IRS 1911). The blacksmith was an important man in the village for he would manufacture many iron items for use on the farm or at home as well as shoe horses. Kenneth Jack took over as village blacksmith in the late 1930s. He is recorded as living at 2 Bridge Street in 1938/9. <2>

Ordnance Survey Mastermap <3>

Sources/Archives (3)



Grid reference Centred NH 7359 5763 (15m by 19m) (2 map features)
Map sheet NH75NW
Geographical Area ROSS AND CROMARTY

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Investigations/Events (0)

External Links (2)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.