MHG22394 - Mallaig Station
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- RAILWAY STATION (Post Medieval to 21st Century - 1560 AD to 2100 AD)
(Location cited as NM 675 970). Mallaig Station, built 1901 by the West Highland Extension Rly. An island-platform terminal station with a glazed girder-framed overall roof supported on a rubble wall, and cast-iron columns. There is an attractive two-storey rubble station building with a dwelling house on the upper floor. Curiously, the booking office is in a detached brick building. The other significant railway structures here are a single-road, eight-bay locomotive shed, with three separate louvred roof ventilators, now a fish-box store; a wooden signal box, and two blocks of railway housing. <1>
This station is the northern terminus of the Fort William (Mallaig Junction) - Mallaig line (the 'West Highland extension') of the former North British Rly. <2>
Opened 1.4.1901 (WHR)
The building was added to the Statutory List at Category B in in August 1996, but was subsequently downgraded to Category C(S) in September 1996.
A basic photographic record of the building was produced by IDP Architects in 2014 as a condition of a planning application for internal refurbishment. <3>
For adjacent harbour, see NM69NE 11. For Mallaig, Railway Houses (NM 6748 9687), see NM69NE 16.
- --- SHG2868 Text/Publication/Volume: Thomas and Turnock, J and D. 1989. The north of Scotland. 278-81.
- --- SHG2872 Text/Publication/Volume: Thomas, J. 1969. The North British railway. vol. 21, 113-14.
- --- SHG2874 Text/Publication/Volume: Thomas, J. 1976. The West Highland railway. 2nd ed.. 97.
- <1> SHG2332 Text/Publication/Volume: Hume, J R. 1977. The industrial archaeology of Scotland 2: The Highlands and Islands. Paper (Original). 204.
- <2> SHG2009 Text/Publication/Volume: Butt, R V J. 1995. The directory of railway stations: details every public and private passenger station, halt, platform and stopping place, past and present. 153.
- <3> SHG26593 Image/Photograph(s): IDP Architects. 2014. Photographic Survey - Mallaig Railway Station, Station Road, Mallaig. Colour. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NM 6756 9705 (22m by 19m)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB43567 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/108368 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.