MHG224 - Chambered Cairn, Rattar
Possible Orkney-Cromarty round cairn
Type and Period (1)
- CHAMBERED CAIRN (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2401 BC)
- None recorded
ND 2488 7366. Chambered Cairn (NR) (rems of)
OS 1:10,000 map, (1976)
The fragmentary remains of a large circular construction, from which stones have been removed. It has probably been a broch. <1>
This is an Orkney-Cromarty round cairn with a Camster-type chamber, which has been greatly disturbed and robbed, and is reduced to a low mound, maximum height 3ft. It now measures 80ft NW-SE by 72ft transversely. The tops of a number of thin parallel slabs can be seen projecting somewhat to SW of centre of cairn, suggesting that a chamber was orientated NW-SE with the entrance at SE. At ESE edge of the mound are two larger slabs set more or less radially, apparently unconnected with chamber. (Miss Henshall erroneously refers to RCAHMS site no 73 as this cairn.) <2>
The remains of this cairn are as described by Miss Henshall.
Resurveyed at 1:2500. Visited by OS (R D) 1 March 1965.
A cairn, 12.6m N-S by 11.8m E-W (sic - ? 24 by 22m) and 1m high, eroded and roughly circular. Stone slabs project and a semaphore pole is dug into the top of it. <3>
The remains of a chambered cairn, generally as described.
Visited by OS (J M) 28 April 1982.
- --- Text/Report: Batey, C E. 1982. Caithness coastal survey 1982: interim reports 1980-2. . Dun 14.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Davidson, JL and Henshall, A S. 1991. The chambered cairns of Caithness: an inventory of the structures and their contents. 131-2, no. 45; plan.
- <1> Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness. . 27, No. 83.
- <2> Text/Publication/Monograph: Henshall, A S. 1963. The chambered tombs of Scotland, Volume 1. 285-6, No, 45 CAT 45; plan.
- <3> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Batey, C E. 1984. Caithness Coastal Survey 1980-82: Dunnet Head to Ousdale. University of Durham, Department of Archaeology. 30/01/1984. Digital (scanned as PDF). DUN 014.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 2487 7366 (80m by 80m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/8905 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.