MHG22410 - Muir of Ord, Station


No summary available.

Type and Period (2)

  • RAILWAY STATION (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
  • SIGNAL BOX (Undated)

Protected Status

  • None recorded

Full Description

NH55SW 61.00 5273 5015
NH55SW 61.01 5273 5032 Signal Box

Built 1894 by the Highland Rly. A 2-platform through station, formerly with 2-bay platforms. The offices are on the down platform, in a 1-storey harled building, with full-length awnings with glazed sidescrenns. There is a small goods yard with a wooden goods shed and a post crane, by Butters Bros, Glasgow, with a lattice jib. J R Hume 1977.

This intermediate station on the 'far North' line of the Highland Rly. was opened on 11 June 1862 by Inverness and Ross-shire Rly; it closed to regular passenger traffic on 13 June 1960 and was re-opened on 4 October 1976. From 1 February 1894 it was the junction station for Fortrose ('Black Isle') branch of Highland Rly., which closed to passengers on 1 October 1951 and completely on 13 June 1960.
H A Vallance 1985; R V J Butt 1995.

Sources/Archives (3)



Grid reference Centred NH 5273 5015 (13m by 22m) (2 map features)
Map sheet NH55SW
Geographical Area ROSS AND CROMARTY
Civil Parish URRAY

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Related Investigations/Events (0)

External Links (1)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.