MHG2242 - LBA Sword - Mey
BA Sword, Mey
Type and Period (1)
- FINDSPOT (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
- None recorded
A Late Bronze Age, Ewart Park type, leaf-shaped bronze sword from Mey (ND 2872) was donated to the NMAS as part of the collection of Sir Francis Tress Barry in 1908 (Acc No: DL 50). It is 19ins long by 1 7/16 ins in greatest width and has four rivet holes in the handle plate, three of the rivets being in situ.
Proc Soc Antiq Scot 1908; J M Coles 1962.
(Ewart Park type - Northern step 2). Complete sword, L. 48.6cm; Term. w. 3.78cm; Sh.w. 4.7cm; M.b.w. 3.65cm; reasonably good condition but poor casting. Messy black patina; rivets 2:2, three in situ.
CB Burgess and I Colquhoun 1988.
- --- SHG1475 Text/Publication/Article: Henderson, W. 1938. 'Scottish late Bronze Age axes and Swords', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 72 1937-8, p.150-77. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 150-77. 172.
- --- SHG1476 Text/Publication/Article: Coles, J M. 1962. ''Scottish Late Bronze Age metalwork: typology, distributions and chronology'', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 93 1959-60, p.16-134. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 16-134. 83.
- --- SHG1724 Text/Publication/Article: Burgess and Colquhoun, C B and I. 1988. 'The swords of Britain', Prahistoriche Bronzefunde Vol. 4 1988. Prahistoriche Bronzefunde. 94, no. 512.
- --- SHG28278 Dataset/Database File: National Museums Scotland. 2019. Highland Finds from the NMS Catalogue. National Museums Scotland. Digital. DL 50.
- --- SHG624 Text/Publication/Article: PSAS. 1909. 'Donations to and purchases for the Museum and Library, with exhibits', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 43 1908-9, p.8-23, 73-5, 145-6, 176-9, 268-71, 291-5. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 8-23, 73-5, 145-6, 176-9,. 11, 20.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 2799 7199 (4m by 4m) (Buffered by site type)|
- SWORD (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://nms.scran.ac.uk/database/record.php?usi=000-100-034-415-C& (Link to NMS online collections database)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/8865 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.