MHG22499 - Russel
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- TOWNSHIP (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
A township comprising seven roofed buildings, one partially roofed building, four unroofed buildings and five enclosures is depicted on the first edition of the OS 6-inch map (Ross-shire 1880, sheet cx). Four roofed buildings, three unroofed buildings and five enclosures are shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10000 map (1971).
Information from RCAHMS (AKK) 6 May 1996 <1>
The report on a desk-based assessment assessment and walkover survey notes that the site of this township is now occupied by a fish farm and completely redevelopment. However a previously unrecorded dyke associated with the township was noted to the north of the turbine house for the Russel Burn hydro scheme. <2>
- --- Collection/Project Archive: Wood, J. 10/2011. Russel Burn Hydro Scheme: Desk-based assessment and walk-over survey. Highland Archaeology Services Ltd. Digital.
- <1> Interactive Resource/Online Database: RCAHMS. Canmore, online database of the Royal Commission for the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS). 108706.
|Grid reference||Centred NG 8207 4040 (100m by 100m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/108706 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.