MHG22559 - Rosskeen Parish Church, Munro Mausoleum
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- MAUSOLEUM (Medieval to 19th Century - 1058 AD to 1900 AD)
According to the ONB (1874) the published site is that of the immediate predecessor of the present parish church (built 1832), and the ruins are those of a yet earlier church.
Maclean (1886), however, implies that the ruins are those of the immediate predecessor of the present church. The ruin is now used as a burial-place of the Munros. Its triple lancet windows suggest that it might date from the 13th or 14th centuries.
Name Book 1874; R Maclean 1886; Anon 1937.
Small building lies in graveyard to E of C19 church. Simple rectangular structure with modern slate roof. Inside 1 medieval? Graveslab attached upright on wall and another marble panel opposite ornate iron gate in S side wall. Floor appears to earthern. Holes within this appear to show disturbed human remains.
The bulding remains to the E of this are part enclose and part accessible. Appear to contain medieval window remains at W end and C15-16 doorway mouldings badly worn. Rubbish being dumped and becoming ivy clad. <1>
The Munro Mausoleum is aligned east-west. A plaque inside reads: ‘Erected 1664 by George Munro of Newmore…restored 1908’. The rectangular structure has a slate roof and is built of red ashlar sandstone. The south wall contains an unlocked, finely detailed iron gate. A double lancet window is found to either side of the gate near the wall head. Either side of the gateway are two thin, tall, recessed arches with weathered carving. Newer stone repairs are evident at the top of one of these arches. The east and west gables both had stone finials with a thistle design, but the western one is now lying on the ground, having broken off. The west gable has a triple lancet window. Growing out of the ground adjacent to the west gable is a mature tree. To the north the gutters are blocked and broken in parts. <2><3>
<1> White, H, Comment by Hilary White, HC Archaeologist, 03/2004 (Verbal Communication). SHG23635.
<2> Robinson, B; Scott, M; Wright, A, 03/2010, Highland Kirkyards: Ross and Cromarty (Collection/Project Archive). SHG25133.
<3> Highlands Buildings Preservation Trust, 2009, Photographs of Ross and Cromarty Kirkyards (Image/Photograph(s)). SHG25134.
- <1> Verbal Communication: White, H. Comment by Hilary White, HC Archaeologist. 03/2004.
- <2> Collection/Project Archive: Robinson, B; Scott, M; Wright, A. 03/2010. Highland Kirkyards: Ross and Cromarty. Highland Buildings Preservation Trust. 29/07/2010. Paper (Original).
- <3> Image/Photograph(s): Highlands Buildings Preservation Trust. 2009. Photographs of Ross and Cromarty Kirkyards. Colour. . Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 6885 6927 (9m by 7m)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (3)
- http://data.historic-scotland.gov.uk/pls/htmldb/f?p=2200:15:0::::BUILDING:15040 (View listed building information on Historic Scotland's website (old hyperlink))
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB15040 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/108580 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.