MHG22689 - Lochaline Pier
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- PIER (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
NM64SE 20 6796 4462
Known locally as the “Old Pier”, not to be confused with the “West Pier”, SMR NM64SE0031, or the Calmac Ferry Pier, NMRS NM64SE 13.
The pier is as described in the previous entry and was restored in 1993.
Across the mouth of the loch is another smaller pier, used by the Caolas Ferry up until 1942, serviced from Ferry House, SMR NM64SE0012. (Info from Mr. C. Ives, Ardtornish).
Field Verification Project (West Lochaber) - J Robertson, 03/2004
OS 1:10,000 map, 1976.
Not to be confused with Lochaline, Old Pier (NM 6735 4422), for which see NM64SE 25.
For adjacent Ferry Pier, see NM64SE 13.
Lochaline (NM 679 447). Droved cattle from Fishnish, Mull were landed at Lochaline. In 1843 it was recorded that 'Underneath the village, a substantial pier has been constructed by the proprietor', this being the only such work noted in the parish of Morvern.
(Lochaline, The Quay). The pier faces E across the narrows at the mouth of the loch. From the S, it is approached along 32ft (9.7m) of quay in the N end of which a flight of nine steps descending towards the pier is inset. From this point, the quay curves outwards through 90 degrees to form the S side of the 54ft (16.4m) square quay. An 18ins (0.46m) long block in the kerb is cut to the shape of the curve. A large iron ring is set in the surface of the quay, about 2ft (0.6m) back from the curve. The SE corner of the pier head is also curved. Near the NE corner there is one old wooden pawl. A slip about 20ft (6.1m) wide rises along the N side of the pier.
Across the mouth of the loch another, less developed, landing place is visible, perhaps for a ferry.
NSA 1845; A Graham and J Gordon 1988.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Graham, A and Gordon, J. 1988. 'Old harbours in northern and western Scotland', Proc Soc Antiq Scot, Vol 117 (1987), pp 265-352. Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland. Digital. 329, 331; illus. 40.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: NSA. 1845. The new statistical account of Scotland by the ministers of the respective parishes under the superintendence of a committee of the society for the benefit of the sons and daughters of the clergy. vol. 7 (Argyll), 190.
|Grid reference||Centred NM 6796 4462 (40m by 40m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/108841 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.