MHG2276 - Broch, Gunn's Hillock, East Clyth
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- BROCH (Iron Age - 550 BC to 560 AD)
- None recorded
Broch (NR) (site of) OS 6" map, (1971)
The remains of a broch known as "Gunn's Hillock" or "The Burnt Ha!", now represented by a mound. Since it has to some extent been broken into and cottages have been erected on top of it, there are no measureable details. A vessel of rough sandstone 9.5ins long by 6.25 ins broad by 4.75 ins deep, with an oval cavity 5 5/8 ins long by 4.25 ins broad and 3 3/8 ins deep, flat at the bottom, from this site was donated to the NMAS by A O Curle in 1911 (Acc No: GA 957).
RCAHMS 1911; Proc Soc Antiq Scot 1911.
An amorphous grassy mound, heavily mutilated by later building, as described by the RCAHMS. The only evidence to suggest a broch is its size and topographic position. No name is known locally.
Resurveyed at 1:2500. Visited by OS (N K B) 10 May 1967.
Possible broch in Latheron, Caithness, consisting of an amorphous, grassy mound heavily mutilated by the later building of cottages. A rough sandstone vessel was found at the site and donated to the National Museum (GA 957). <1>
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness. . 52, No. 194.
- --- Dataset/Database File: National Museums Scotland. 2019. Highland Finds from the NMS Catalogue. National Museums Scotland. Digital. GA 957.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: PSAS. 1911. 'Donations to and purchases for the Museum and Library, with exhibits', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 45 1910-11, p.10-17, 152-7, 220-4, 315-18, 366-70, 416-18. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 10-17, 152-7, 220-4, 315-. 220.
- <1> Text/Publication/Monograph: Mackie, E.. 2007. The Roundhouses, Brochs and Wheelhouses of Atlantic Scotland c.700 BC - AD 500: Architecture and material culture Part 2 (I & II) The Northern and Southern Mainland and the Western Islands. BAR British Series. 444. Paperback. Pp. 445.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 3028 3903 (70m by 70m) (Buffered by site type)|
- VESSEL (Iron Age - 550 BC? to 560 AD?)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/8938 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.