MHG2279 - Various Lithics - Tofts Farm
Flint Scatter, Tofts Farm
Type and Period (1)
- FINDSPOT (Neolithic to Late Bronze Age - 4000 BC? to 551 BC?)
- None recorded
(NB secondary sources as quoted in RCAHMS have added wrong Stephan Murray report from DES 1981 - refs to Hotel Field, Canisbay are another site - HAW 5/2003)
ND36NE 27 366 688.
ND 366 688. Found on surface of ploughed field at Tofts Farm - flakes, blades, scrapers and cores of brown and white beach flint. None with secondary retouch.
R Stephan-Murray 1981.
No flint was seen at the given location, the area being under hay and potatoes. The farmer, from Everly, confirmed the occurrence of flint around ND 3666 6885.
Visited by OS (J B) 20 July 1982.
Struck flint flakes found about 250 yds NNE of Tofts farmhouse, Freswick, were donated to the NMAS by R S Murray in 1981-2.
Listed in the NMS catalogue from 250 yards NNE of Tofts Farmhouse 1981 are 5 crude cores of orange or grey flint (Acc. No. AB 3027) and eight flakes of orange or grey flint, some corticated (Acc. No. AB 3028). <1>
- --- Text/Report: NMAS. 1982. NMAS annual report 1981-2, no.28. . 26.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Stephan-Murray, R. 1981. 'Hotel Field (Canisbay p) Mesolithic-Neolithic site', Discovery and Excavation in Scotland 1981, p.18. Discovery and Excavation in Scotland. 18. 18.
- <1> Dataset/Database File: National Museums Scotland. 2019. Highland Finds from the NMS Catalogue. National Museums Scotland. Digital. AB 3027, AB 3028.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 3659 6880 (4m by 4m) (Buffered by site type)|
- CORE (Neolithic to Late Bronze Age - 4000 BC? to 551 BC?)
- FLAKE (Neolithic to Late Bronze Age - 4000 BC? to 551 BC?)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/9279 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.