MHG2289 - Broch, Toftgun
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- BROCH (Iron Age - 550 BC to 560 AD)
Scheduled Ancient Monument Management Plan, 1st April 2003 to 31st March 2008. HS, 11/03/03. See assoc. docs. File.
J Aitken : 25/03/03
ND24SE 6 2798 4241.
Broch (NR) (Site of) OS 6" map, (1959)
A low grassy mound, evidently site of a broch, which appears to have been almost entirely removed, probably to build the wall of a neighbouring enclosure, so that no dimensions are available. The existence of outbuildings is indicated by a large number of large slabs, set on end, which protrude through turf towards south.
RCAHMS 1911, visited 1910.
An amorphous turf-covered mound c22m diameter and 1.2m max height, surmounting end of a low ridge. Probably a robbed broch although no structural details survive. On edge of mound in S are three or four earthfast slabs on edge, but it cannot be ascertained if these are remains of outbuildings as stated by RCAHMS.
Visited by OS (A A) 19 April 1972.
RCAHMS, 1911, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness, 164, No. 525 (Text/Report). SHG2664.
Mercer, R. J. & Howell, J.M., 1980, Archaeological field survey in northern Scotland, 1976-1979, TOF 2 (Text/Report/Fieldwork Report). SHG2510.
- --- Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Mercer, R. J. & Howell, J.M.. 1980. Archaeological field survey in northern Scotland, 1976-1979. University of Edinburgh. 30/01/1980. Paper and Digital. TOF 2.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness. . 164, No. 525.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 2797 4241 (70m by 70m)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (3)
- http://data.historic-scotland.gov.uk/pls/htmldb/f?p=2300:35:1177880253467667::::P35_SELECTED_MONUMENT:591 (Historic Scotland scheduled monument description (old hyperlink))
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM591 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/8715 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.